Friday, October 28, 2011

Shaken

This morning I feel shaken.  So I did a search for "shaken bible verse" and this is what I got.  It's pretty cool to read all the different translations.  (if you're a word nerd, anyway)  It came up with Isaiah 54:10, "Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken nor my covenant of peace be removed," says the Lord who has compassion on you. (NIV)   What I love is that I had just been praying, "God I can't feel your peace."  I love that God so quickly reminded me that my ability to feel his peace has nothing to do with the reality of his peace being present.  Our pastor, Mike, likes to remind us that "feelings lie".  My feelings tell me right now that I'm not in God's presence because I don't feel him.  But He's there.  He never leaves.  Wesley's notes on this verse tell me, "the mountains shall sooner depart from their places than any kindness depart from thee."  Yeah, I know it's outdated language but what an awesome reminder.  When I look out my window in the morning I expect Mount Miguel to be right where it was yesterday and the day before and the day before.  But so often I feel shaken and think "where's God?"  Mount Miguel is more likely to be gone when I look out my window.  Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary says, "We are neither to despond under afflictions, nor to despair of relief.  Mountains have been shaken and removed, but the promises of God never were broken by any event."  The events going on in my health right now are big.  But they're not big enough to break God's promises.  These reminders are enough to remove the ball of anxiety from my stomach and settle me back on ground that can not be shaken.  

No comments: